Thursday, March 10, 2011

Indulge me

Things have been getting pretty nerd-tacular on this blog lately, and this post isn't about to change that!

I swapped some sweet photoshop brushes with Chuck Groeninkt & Sam Bosma, and I had some off time to noodle around with them. I was thinking about doing some more fanart, but I decided to hearken back to my jr. high medieval-fantasy/sci-fi roots and do some original art instead.
(The only downside to fanart is that the art doesn't really 'belong' to you in the end!)

So, here's a warrior queen & her catbeast.

I was initially inspired by these gowns & was going to do a space queen, but ended up going in a different direction. I'll draw a sci-fi lady another day!

And, for you less-medievally inclined people out there, I do have an actual magazine assignment to show you next week. It's about an art heist!

For anyone interested in me talking briefly about Game of Thrones, I have a little interview on this blog: One Cleric Short

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like the crazy fantasy queen on her tigerthing. A little low-contrast for small viewing, but looks great on fullsize.

And those dresses! The appliqué birds are gorgeous.

Jeremy Enecio said...

this is stunning! love the exaggerated snake-like curvature of the tiger. and your colors never cease to amaze me. i might have to steel your color palettes in the near future.

one thing i would suggest is maybe giving her flag the same treatment and flow as some of the cloth on her shoulders? there is such a beautiful flow to the rest of the image, which makes the flag look a bit schematic in comparison.

hope to see you door more of these!!! :D

lejeanbaba said...

hey, nice work. mostly i like the well curved tail the tiger might use to tickle her feets ^_^

Unknown said...

The metal parts of the outfit (or rather, the shape of the helmet) remind me of Griffith's armour from Berserk, which is awesome!

Shanti R. said...

Kali, I am in love with this piece! But then again, I am always a fan of your color sense :)
Also, her armor & helmet/halo are super sweet!

Jory Dayne said...

Holy moly, the whole thing is wonderful, but the back legs of the tiger are killing me especially! So gorgeous.

Craig Phillips said...

I just found your work and I LOVE it!!! It is beautiful! And I AM medievally inclined! Great blog.

Bronwyn said...

I love the juxtaposition of her diaphanous sleeves and super-tough breastplate and helmet... I also love the reiteration of the star design in her pennant and breastplate and then again in the skirt of her dress...
I also really like the coppery brown with the greens and her pale skin with perhaps slightly sunburned knees...
Absolutely lovely!
(sorry, that was really long)

windeater.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Damnit Kali, This is perfect! The colors are really spot on and I love the subtlety of textures throughout the image. Seems like a fun bunch of brushes!

I do agree with Jeremy about the flag. It seems a bit static compared to the drapery of her cloth. However the contrast does work on its own...

Keep on kicking as, every time you post it seems like you've reached another milestone!

-Brun

Kali Ciesemier said...

Thanks for the comments & suggestions, everyone! You guys are great, you make me want to do more stuff like this & work to keep improving :) Thank you!

M. S. Corley said...

Inspiring work as always!

Could you share some of those photoshop brushes with us!?

Sudjino said...

This is amazing work!! I love it!
And use for my desktop )))))