Monday, July 30, 2012

The Power of Mom!



Right on the heels of my last piece are two more illustrations for this past weekend's Boston Globe magazine! This time I was honored to be illustrating the cover again, as well as an accompanying page inside.

The theme of both illustrations was the power that moms wield through online networking (the cover is focused on the power, and the inside illo is focused on the connectivity). It's easier than ever for moms to connect and share tips, info, advice, and warnings on a variety of sites, blogs, and forums that are catered to them. From the article, "While a mom’s opinions once only stretched so far — to her local play group or over the backyard fence — now they are amplified and shot around the world with a keystroke. And if you make a mom mad, the power of her network is a force to be reckoned with." You can read the rest of the article here!

The cover I made is a deliberate riff on Eugene Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People. I remembered the painting from my college art history class partly because it was the first time I learned about triangular compositions!

The revolutionary spirit also seemed to fit the article, though the editorial staff didn't want any moms with mean faces, so my ladies are a little more lighthearted instead of murderous.

There was limited time for both illustrations so the inside illo is more simplified out of necessity, but because the colors for both are all in the same families I think they fit together, and I enjoyed working in both styles.
Thanks again to my great AD Ryan Huddle for the assignment, and the fun layout he created inside!

Sketches for the cover:

Sketches for the inside illo:

17 comments:

Frank said...

I love it when artists reference other historical paintings. I knew it was the Delacroix at once. Great piece! (and I'm not just saying that because you and Sam came to my party!)

Corey Egbert said...

This is amazing. I love it! Your work is so inspiring

Owen Freeman said...

Beautifully done Kali!

Michele S said...

Kali, I loved the article, and your imagery really helped bring the message home. Please contact me if you are interested in developing any illustrations for children's books. I am CIO for gryphon design collective in Boston.

Piroska said...

I just found your blog through drawn.ca, and I'm so glad I did! Your work is lovely, the colours are wonderful and you have such a great way with composition. Plus you draw beautiful ladies. Double plus, you like Sabriel and Game of Thrones! I shall enjoy seeing more of your work.

Craig Phillips said...

Just fantastic work.

Deanna said...

Great job! I found your recent art on Pinterest and followed to your Blog. I'm actually now going to see about where to purchase the Magazine so I can read the article too. PS....This also reminded me of what Military Spouses are going through during deployments. For myself, I can so relate! Love your work and Blog! Thanks - Deanna

Stock market trading said...

No matter if you are stock market trader or investor, You need to be very careful while dealing in
Indian stock market. Stock
market offers huge returns but many less people are able to stay in profit just think why? Is it
because of lack of share trading knowledge? Well let’s discuss this in this nice blog and see what
everyone has to say about it. Come one let’s start a discussion which will benefit lot of
stock market traders and investors.

Lea said...

Love this! As a mama I just want to say thank you for the awesome illustrations and portrayals. <3

STOVEPIPE.NET said...

I looked around a little through your blog, everything is so wonderful! I like how you have a range of style. Are you doing this work digitally?

Share Market Tips | Mcx trading Tips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack jonson said...

I found your site while stumbling. allowed me to really understand this issue. I really learned a lot from your site. You are doing good work! I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. NIFTY SURE TIPS

sharetipsinfo.info said...

In this stock market blog share market investors and day traders will get clear view for the Nifty Tips, stocks and various In this stock market blog share

market investors and day traders will get clear view for the Commodity Tips, stocks and various commodities along with the daily stock market opening trend. This blog covers

NSE, BSE,MCX and NCDEX completely.

Commodity tips said...

This post is so informative and makes a very nice image on the topic in my mind. It is the first time I visit your blog, but I was extremely impressed. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday! Commodity Tips

saranya zinavo said...

It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly.
Responsive Web Design Services in india

Tina Roy said...

equity tips for today
UPDATE: ARVIND FUTURES BUY CALL TG1-159 ACHIEVED BOOK PARTIAL PROFIT. TAKE NEW POSITION FOR TG2-159.6

Stock market tips for intraday

Riya Bajaj said...

Good day. Very nice website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I’m glad to find a lot of helpful info right here in the article. Thank you for sharing.

Commodity Tips