Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good Debt

Hey friends!
First off, I'm on Twitter now! If you want to follow me, I'm kalidraws.

Second off, I've got another piece I did for Air Tran.
This one had a tough concept to crack! It was entitled "Good Credit" and was about how it may be good for some businesses to go into debt for good reasons, because they will be paid back with even more money (i.e. printing up a bunch of extra-fancy products for a particularly big client, because they know the client will pay them back and will be impressed).


As you can see, I tried out various metaphorical ideas, but Air Tran really just wanted to go for a more straightforward approach in the end (debtor using the bank to reach clients with money on the other side).

And here we are:


A note on style:
My style still changes around a bit sometimes, and I'm never really sure if that's a good or bad thing. (From what I've been led to believe in school, it's a bad thing, but at the same time I feel like I am still continually defining and improving what I want to do) I've never been married to a specific style in the way that many illustrators are, but I still feel like there is a thread of similarity that binds all my work. I usually get pretty clear visions for what I want different assignments to look like and go with my gut. In the case of this assignment, I decided to try out something a little more different from my usual texture work. I may see if I can integrate it a little better with my other flat work in the future.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I like your textured work better, this flat work is great. Your style may fluctuate but it still seems to be within your personal style.

Daniel Fishel said...

I can tell that the same hand is being used, but the language and ingredients that you use in your illustrations are just expanding.

Jeremy Enecio said...

style can be a funny thing some times. you definitely have a certain look to all of your work that makes them immediately noticeable as a Kali piece, but there are variations, which i think is great. maybe consciously thinking about style and how you want to be defined might hurt your creative process. you don't seem to be too caught up in it which shines through in your work.

i'm loving this new technique with texture!

Annika said...

hey Kali I love the concept & composition of the sketch with the sailing boat! and its good to see you pushing to try new things with texture & treatment in the final, the style of the drawing is still very much your own.

dadu shin said...

i love this one. the play with edges and the softness of the pencil really stand out to me in a good way...a really really good way!

Kali Ciesemier said...

Thanks for your thoughts, guys...I think I will try and use this particular technique again with my Picture Book Report work! I still need to work with it a bit more.